July 13, 2009

The "How" of Teaching

The quote by Strauss above on teaching is sadly not a sentiment I can say I share with him—something I've inherited from his thinking. I chose it instead precisely because I do not yet grasp the wisdom of his remarks and would like to understand them better. Since learning that I would be teaching at Andover this summer, I've been wondering about the question of how one becomes a good teacher. I've put this question to some of my favorite former teachers, but not even my bullheaded curiosity was enough to seduce a satisfying answer out of any of them. I came back with surprisingly little, excepting one comment that I only understand in hindsight. This might make sense to those more experienced, yet it's frustrated me more than I thought it would. How is teaching so mysterious an enterprise that no one can give me an account of it?

Until this summer, I think I've assumed that being passionate about a subject and being able to teach it well are probably synonymous. After all, isn't this passion what one sees most of all in an excellent teacher from one's seat at the desk? Perhaps this can be refined by saying that loving a subject would be enough to become a great teacher. That is, it's a requisite for carrying a person through the teaching process, but not so powerful that it makes one good from the start. We could say it is a necessary but not sufficient condition for excelling. So, if a person already has the love of the subject, how does he gain the rest of what is needed to really excel as a teacher? Often, the choice is to pursue the route of education programs and degrees in “education.” I put this in quotes because I'm not sure these programs really teach education per se, i.e., its telos, its nature, or why it is worthwhile to devote oneself to it. My sense is that they teach methodologies, procedures, and management skills that could apply to any number of disciplines. Does this decrease the learning curve for teachers in any measurable way? I have trouble imagining that data received like this would be a substitute for the actual experience of teaching in real-time. It's like trying to address the question of how to ride a bike without ever touching the bike—it seems dubious to address the “how” question in this context. Why not spend these years instead in mastering a certain branch of learning and increasing your love for it all the more? In my very limited experience, this approach fails to understand the nature of the object; it suffers from the same flaw as my initial question.

The art of teaching, on another view, can't be captured in statements that are inherited or received as facts from those who know. This is precisely why we call it an art. What I had not grasped in my questioning is that teaching is more analogous to learning to play Tchaikovsky or to paint. We learn these through practice, and it is by virtue of this that we call them practices or arts. Teaching is none other than such a practice: it is learned only through continuous practice and development over a period of time. It seems that one has to experience the practice first and only afterward can it be understood. As with the virtues, we become good by doing good acts, and this though the constant work of aiming to do good. No wonder I was not getting satisfying answers.

The knowledge that teaching is a practice, then, still leaves one wondering how to proceed with the practice. The piano teacher, if asked, could give step by step instructions for a student who wants to progress from a beginner to a concert pianist. First learn this scale, then learn this arpeggio, then study this and that piece, and practice all of this many times over until you begin to gain proficiency. Where is the analogue in the practice of teaching? Even if there is no definite sequence to the process of becoming a good teacher (and I hope there is), how does one discern the guiding principles of the practice? The short answer for me is that I do not yet know. Thankfully, I've found myself in a place that acknowledges the value of the practice of teaching. For this summer my job is not only to assist my teachers, but to be mentored by them in the context of the classroom. As trite as it is, experience will be my guide—the experience of teaching for the first time, of observing a teacher who has experience, and of letting his experience inform my practice as we go along. The teaching art is mimetic art as it is with many of the others: it is learned by imitation. This is the same principle as in ethics, that becoming virtuous begins with imitating good men; we become what we model.

Knowing that experience and practice are so essential quiets the urgency of my initial curiosity. But this whole discussion, we should note, depends on a much larger question about the purpose of education generally. The questions about how to teach are actually subordinate and hence secondary to the larger question of the end of liberal education as a whole. The order of knowing demands that we confront the end at the beginning. It makes little sense to think about how to teach until we have decided on why we teach, on what result we hope to accomplish. Leo Strauss, a political philosopher and educator, takes this a step further by saying that the means is in fact only known through the end: “One knows [the how] once one knows what education is meant to do to a human being or once one knows the end of education.” How is it possible that the how is revealed once the telos has been demarcated? How is it that the efficient cause is contained within the final cause of education? I wonder what kind of gems lie embedded in Strauss' suggestion. The questions indicate to me that he might have in mind much more than an intellectual apprehension of the goal. I think I have some notions about the end(s) of liberal education, but less of a sense about how these are accomplished. On the other hand, I may be worlds away from really understanding these goals. For now, what I have learned is that 1) excellence as a teacher comes only with much practice, imitation, and failure (I am sure) and 2) that it may be fruitful to pursue this idea that the means is somehow implicit in the end. Here's to the lifelong pursuit of mastering the art.

5 comments:

  1. As regards the Strauss quote: remember your Plato--specifically the Cave.

    The first escape from the Cave is done without knowing the end. It is done in faith of the Good, and more proximately, in faith of at least something better. Then we are called, compelled to return to the Cave and bring (slash-drag-slash-kick-slash-tug) others out. This return to the Cave and consequent re-journey out of it is done with the end in mind. It is done knowing what the journey does to a human being and knowing already the telos of that journey.

    And that is the office and cross of a teacher: to return to the Cave and to lead others to the end we have already glimpsed.

    I hope this is helpful.

    I find much wisdom in your words and even now the passion of your words inspires my own. That is to say, I shall post soon and shall post on Love and its role in educating.

    M. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! OK, my brief and much less eloquent thoughts:
    1) teaching is grown through the practice of and passion for the subject, but is greatly improved by specific instruction and guidance from seasoned teachers. (As in the piano teacher, etc.)
    I taught ESL first with NO experience or training, then with some experience and some instruction on ESL teaching methods, then with MORE experience and more instruction for teaching practices in genera. I see now that both first hand experience and training are braided together into the rope you climb towards being a more effective teacher. Of course no amount of training can make up for lack of passion, but learning best practices makes the process of dragging, kicking, tugging others out of the Cave, a little more efficient.
    Some suggestions: For classroom management: Harry Wong's "The First Days of School," Fred Jones' "Tools for Teaching" and anything by Madeline Hunter on Lesson Plan design.
    2) The end of teaching depends on the subject and the teacher. As you mentioned, deciding what you want the students to be able to do, comprehend or produce, and how you want them to go about it is the essential first step. Do you intend to have disciples or free thinkers? All the questions you ask initially will form the decisions you make along the way in terms of methods.

    Love to hear more about your experiences and thoughts about teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concernant ¶4, nous devons nous demander s’il est possible qu’on puisse apprendre aux enfants à jouer du piano si bien. Peut-être qu’ils ont un don pour en jouer. Et peut-être qu’il n’y a aucun professeur avec assez de compétence d’apprendre à ces autres enfants qui manquent du don. La nature contre l'expérience, etc.

    Et à propos des institutions modernes d’éducation, je suis complètement de ton avis. Il me fait rappeler à une citation de La Rochefoucauld : « Les passions sont les seuls orateurs qui persuadent toujours. Elles sont comme un art de la nature dont les règles sont infaillibles; et l’homme le plus simple qui a de la passion persuade mieux que le plus éloquent [ou le plus instruit] qui n’en a point » ( Maximes, Réflexion Morale 8). Mais, cette citation présuppose beaucoup. Il faut nous demander si persuasion soit une partie de l’éducation.

    Enfin, j'ai créé une petite pensée pour toi:

    « Le disciple n’est pas plus que le maître, ni le serviteur plus que son seigneur.» Aussi le maître doit connaître le but de sa doctrine, que le seigneur connaît des affaires de son domaine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like small hands, I feel like I might taint your wall with a lack of eloquence, but I had a brief thought about teaching.

    I've been blindsided by the realization that learning how to lead effectively is going to make or break us (Midshipmen) as we enter into the military. So, partly out of fear and partly out of curiosity, I've started to read what leadership is all about.

    What I realized after reading your post Jesse, was that all the good teachers I have had were gifted with strong leadership traits. Confidence, eloquence, knowledge, honesty and sometimes even obsession seem to exude from my favorite teachers. What's interesting about it is that my favorite teachers are also people I respect not only for their teaching ability, but for their leadership ability, their way of carrying themselves, and their outlook and worldview on life.

    I almost wonder if learning to teach means learning to lead. In much the same way as a CEO would slowly learn to lead a company, or an officer would learn to lead a group of troops, a teacher must learn to lead a group of students. Instead of working business deals, or breaking down doors, the teacher has a much more complex problem; breaking down the doors of the soul and the mind. In many ways, these doors are probably much more difficult to throw open, and much more terrifying to peer into.

    Nonetheless, like the leader, the teacher must gain the trust, respect and followership from the student before that pupil will allow his own ideas to be broken down.

    By the way, great site! I'm forwarding it to Kurtis.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys, your thoughts are well received on all fronts. Thank you so much for thinking through this with me. And please don't worry about eloquence...

    Mike, you bring up an excellent point about leadership. I really want to work at incorporating it into the whole picture of teaching. I think it also makes a lot of sense in terms of Plato's cave - leading men out of the realm of sights and sounds and into a view of what's really real; or as you put it well, breaking down the door to their souls and minds. Thanks again, brother.

    ReplyDelete